Martha Virginia LaFaye Mitchell Dill, born July 23, 1927 in Haleyville, Ala., passed away Monday, Jan. 13, 2020, after living 92 wonderful years. She lived in Athens from 1973 to 2013 having lived the last years of her life with her daughter, Lynn, in Birmingham, Ala. She was preceded in death by her husband, Thomas J. Dill Jr.; and her mother, Ada Catherine Mitchell. She is survived by three children: two daughters, Lynn L. Dill of Birmingham, Ala., and Jane (Steve) Younger of Columbia, and one son, Tommy (Ann) Dill of Athens. She had three grandchildren: two granddaughters, Rachel (Todd) Matthews of Franklin, and Mary Beth (Kris) Anderson of Lynnville, and grandson, Aaron Dill of Birmingham, Ala.. She had two precious great-grandsons, Braeden Cole Matthews and Rowan Finn Matthews of Franklin. She also is survived by a host of loving friends, acquaintances, nieces, nephews and cousins. She was a faithful member of First Baptist Church of Athens for 47 years, and a member of the Faithful Followers Sunday School Class. She was a loving homemaker, devoted wife and mother, niece, daughter and grandmother. A funeral service will be conducted at noon on Friday, Jan. 17, at First Baptist Church of Athens with Dr. Bill Henard officiating. Interment will follow in McMinn Memory Gardens. The family will receive friends from 10:30 a.m. to noon at the church prior to the service. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to First Baptist Church of Athens, 305 Ingleside Ave., Athens, TN 37303; or to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, 3500 Blue Lake Dr. #225, Birmingham, AL 35243. If you are unable to attend this service or visitation, sign the guest register at www.smithfuneralandcremationservicesofathens.com Smith Funeral & Cremation Services of Athens is honored to serve the family of Martha Virginia LaFaye Mitchell Dill.
- Steven M. Sipple: Pro Football Hall's snub of Craig doesn't diminish his status as NFL pioneer
- Captain Marvel sequel 'in the works'
- Brad Pitt 'naive' about frenzy surrounding Jennifer Aniston reunion
- Oprah Winfrey supports Duke and Duchess of Sussex
- Recruiting Ticker, Jan. 22: Huskers well-represented in final 2020 Rivals recruiting rankings
- Police reports for Wednesday, Jan. 22, 2020
- Martin Luther King Jr. remembered during annual service
- Lady Tigers roll past Loudon