Helen Wheaton was carried home on the wings of Angels on Saturday, Feb. 8, 2020. She was of the Baptist faith and was a loyal member of West End Baptist Church. A native of Lyons, N.Y., and a longtime resident of McMinn County, she was the daughter of the late Albert Wonder and Florence Allen Wonder and was preceded in death by her loving husband of 52 years, Douglas Robert Wheaton Sr.; two sisters, Linda Plandro and Lotta Mae Wonder; and great-grandson, Christian Sneed. She was the loving mother of five children, Douglas Jr. and Darlene Wheaton of Riceville, Audrey and Bill Davis of Decatur, Tracy and Jon (Bob) Roberts of Athens, Tammy and Randy Willis of Niota, and Frank Wheaton of Niota; 16 grandchildren; 26 great-grandchildren; one sister, Diane Pierce of Auburn, N.Y.; and two brothers and sisters-in-law, Bobby and Nancy Wonder of New York, and Raymond and Dawn Wonder of New York. Funeral services will be 2 p.m. Thursday in the chapel of Ziegler Funeral Home with the Rev. Kenny Purdy officiating. Burial will be in McMinn Memory Gardens. Pallbearers will be grandsons: Douglas Robert Wheaton III, Christopher Lee Ezell, Heath Robert Ezell, Tony James “T.J.” Ezell, Cody Glenn Dewight Schultz, Jacob William Wheaton, and Joshua Robert Wheaton. The family will receive friends from noon to 2 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home. If you are unable to attend the visitation or service, sign the online guest registry at www.zieglerfuneralhome.com Ziegler Funeral Home of Athens has been entrusted with the care of Helen Marie Wonder Wheaton.
- Roberts named as Etowah chamber keynote speaker
- Lady Bulldogs oust Montreat, advance to AAC quarterfinals
- Allegedly attempting to get into people's homes leads to arrest
- Local teams face elimination games
- Lady Bulldogs earn AAC win
- U.S. Supreme Court includes birth control case on April argument calendar
- Biden has largest lead yet ahead of SC primary
- Wisconsin Badgers release spring practice schedule
- One death in Highway 30 wreck Wednesday
- Glenda Louise Coe Fugate
- Donna Sue Riggins
- Armstrong suspended pending assault investigation
- Man Born With No Arms or Legs Has More Heart Than All of Us!
- Jesse Hamilton "Jess" Guinn Jr.
- Investigation underway regarding possible homicide
- Police reports for Friday, Feb. 21, 2020
- David E. 'Eddie' Harrill
- Wanda “Faye” Davis