Herman Boyd Davis, 89, of Englewod, passed away peacefully at home surrounded by his family on Thursday, Feb. 6, 2020. He was a son of the late Robert F. and Vesta Rowland Davis and was preceded in death by son and daughter-in-law, Ronald Boyd and Trish Fritts Davis; grandson, David Andrew Davis; sister, Juanita Davis; and brother, Ralph Davis. Boyd was an active member at Wildwood Baptist Church, where he served as deacon, Sunday school teacher, and RA leader, and served on many committees. Boyd retired from Bowater after 38 years and served in the U.S. Army in Germany during the Korean Conflict. He enjoyed spending time with his family, enjoyed traveling and camping, and was an avid bowler. He loved to fish and he also loved rabbit hunting every Saturday with his two brothers-in-law, Hershel Sherlin and Joe Pardue, whether it was in rain, sleet, or snow. Survivors include his wife of 65 years, Wilma Rogers Davis of Englewood; three sons and daughters-in-law, Richard and Gail Davis of Athens, Russell and Kim Davis of Ten Mile, and Robert and Tanya Davis of Englewood; grandchildren, Dustin and Priscilla Davis, Zack and Brittany Davis, Shea and Nathan Moses, Zoee and Paul Lawson, Emma and Dalton Croft, and Daelyn Waldroup; great-grandchildren, Faith Marie Davis, Hadleigh Willow Davis and Embry Elizabeth Davis; five brothers and sisters-in-law, Harold Davis of Athens, Tommy and Gayle Davis of Athens, Gene Davis of Athens, Glenn and Linda Davis of Cleveland, and Jim and Bobbie Davis of Clemson, S.C.; four sisters and brothers-in-law, Margaret and Joe Pardue of Cleveland, Betty and Pat Torbett of Athens, Trula and Ray Patterson of Athens, and Ruth and Sherman Patterson of Farragut; and several nieces and nephews. Funeral services will be 2 p.m. Saturday at Wildwood Baptist Church with Dr. Bill Vest officiating. Entombment will follow in McMinn Memory Gardens with Zack Davis officiating. Active pallbearers will be Dustin Davis, Nathan Moses, Paul Lawson, Dalton Croft, Travis Barnett, and William Barnett. Honorary pallbearers will be deacons of Wildwood Baptist Church. The family will receive friends from noon to 2 p.m. Saturday at the church. Memorial contributions may be made to The Youth Fund and/or Golden Nuggets of Wildwood Baptist Church, 1045 Hwy. 39 E., Englewood, TN 37329. Condolences may be sent at www.laycock-hobbs.com/notices/Boyd-Davis.com Laycock-Hobbs Funeral Home of Athens is in charge of arrangements.
- Chargers strike down Wildcats
- Local power rates expected to fall in March
- Lady Cherokees fall to Cleveland in 5-AAA consolation
- Columnist Ben Frederickson takes Cards, Blues and STL sports questions in his weekly chat
- Pete Davidson wants to quit Saturday Night Live
- Justin Theroux wants an 'apology' after Denver retains pit bull ban
- Tivity Health Announces Agreement with Stockholder to Add New Directors
- Man Born With No Arms or Legs Has More Heart Than All of Us!
- Jesse Hamilton "Jess" Guinn Jr.
- Two local men arrested on federal drug charges
- One death in Highway 30 wreck Wednesday
- Donna Sue Riggins
- Armstrong fired as Etowah chief of police as assault charge filed
- Glenda Louise Coe Fugate
- Hayden Panettiere's boyfriend arrested
- Garrett Evan Grizzle
- Armstrong suspended pending assault investigation
- Police reports for Friday, Feb. 21, 2020
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
- Mileage: 216,000
- Mileage: 260,000