Geneva Leona Goforth Sewell, 86, of Athens, passed away Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2019, at her residence. She was a native of Meigs County, a resident of McMinn County most of her life, a daughter of the late Jess Goforth Sr. and Bertha Crook Goforth, and was preceded in death by her husband, Jay Gather Sewell on Feb. 11, 1994; son, Wayne Sewell; two brothers, Jess Goforth Jr. and Ruel Goforth; and two sisters, Una Mae Denton and Irene Howard. She retired from Magic Chef Manufacturing Company in Cleveland. after 18 1/2 years of service and was of the Baptist faith. Survivors include daughter and son-in-law, Faye and Johnny Renner of Calhoun; daughter-in-law, Edna Sewell of Athens; brother, Dee Goforth of Athens; four grandchildren and spouses, Michael (Ashley) Renner, Danah (Blake) Weese, Tiffany (Gary) Fay, and Dustin (Janna) Sewell; great-grandchildren, Lexy (Austin) Bradam, CoCo and Channing Mitchell, Jules and Brody Weese, and Hogan Sewell; great-great-grandchildren, Isaiah, Neyland, and Ryder Bradam; special niece, Jean Womac; special neighbor, Dorthy Gunter; and several nieces and nephews. Funeral services will be 7 p.m. Friday in the chapel of Laycock-Hobbs Funeral Home with the Rev. Mike King officiating. Interment will be noon Saturday in Short Creek Cemetery. Active pallbearers will be Butch Carman, Dustin Sewell, Michael Renner, Gary Fay, James Parks, and Austin Bradam. The family will receive friends from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at the funeral home. Condolences may be sent at www.laycock-hobbs/notices/Geneva-Sewell Laycock-Hobbs Funeral Home of Athens is in charge of arrangements.
- Margot Robbie wants dinner with Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan
- Jamie Lynn Spears' daughter hospitalised after 'accident at recess'
- Olly Murs' heart 'broken' following Caroline Flack death
- Steven M. Sipple: All-time Husker great promotes mental health for a heartbreaking reason
- Vanessa Kirby and Callum Turner split
- Duchess Catherine: I want to appreciate the simple things
- Ewan McGregor joins the cast of Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio
- Nick Cannon: I don't believe in marriage anymore
- Catherine "Cathy" Cagle
- District tournament scenarios still sorting out
- Heather Michelle Weber
- H.R. Herman Ray "Popsie" Patterson
- John Bartly Jenkins
- Federal lawsuit filed against City of Athens for 'First Amendment retaliation'
- Police reports for Friday, Feb. 7, 2020
- Celia Verniece Hill Black
- Ronnie Franklin Fairbanks
- Betty Pickel Axley