H.R. Herman Ray “Popsie” Patterson, 78, of Athens, went to meet his heavenly father on Thursday, Feb. 6, 2020, at his residence surrounded by his family. A native and lifelong resident of McMinn County, he was the son of the late John and Annie Malone Patterson. He was a member of Sanford Baptist Church and was a retired engineer from CSX Railroad after 37 years. He was preceded in death by one brother and sister-in-law, John Cecil and Eunice Patterson; and brother-in-law, Jessie Brown. Survivors include his wife of 58 years, Trula Davis Patterson of Athens; daughter and son-in-law, Connie and Ray Adcox of Athens; son and daughter-in-law, Don and Jennifer Patterson of Riceville; grandchildren and spouses, Megan and John Wayne Irwin, Matt and Stacy Bates, Whitney and Gerardo Frank, and Josh Patterson; great-grandchildren, Connleigh, Annie-Mae, Enoch, Foree Jayne, Mackenzey, and Aubrey; three brothers and sisters-in-law, Bob and Charlotte Patterson of Farragut, Sherman and Ruth Patterson of Farragut, and H.L. and Wanda Patterson of Athens; two sisters and brother-in-law, Evelyn Brown of Athens, and Joyce and George Starr of Cleveland; and several nieces and nephews. Funeral services will be 7 p.m. Monday, Feb. 10, at Sanford Baptist Church, located at 2315 County Road 50 in Riceville, with the Rev. Don Patterson and the Rev. Stan Cantrell officiating. The graveside will be at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 11, at McMinn Memory Gardens with the Rev. Zach Davis officiating. The family will receive friends from 5 to 7 p.m. on Monday before the service at the church. Those unable to attend may send condolences at www.laycockhobbs.com/notices/Ray-Patterson In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to 22q Foundation and St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Laycock-Hobbs Funeral Home of Athens is in charge of arrangements.
- Chargers strike down Wildcats
- Local power rates expected to fall in March
- Lady Cherokees fall to Cleveland in 5-AAA consolation
- Columnist Ben Frederickson takes Cards, Blues and STL sports questions in his weekly chat
- Pete Davidson wants to quit Saturday Night Live
- Justin Theroux wants an 'apology' after Denver retains pit bull ban
- Tivity Health Announces Agreement with Stockholder to Add New Directors
- Man Born With No Arms or Legs Has More Heart Than All of Us!
- Jesse Hamilton "Jess" Guinn Jr.
- Two local men arrested on federal drug charges
- One death in Highway 30 wreck Wednesday
- Donna Sue Riggins
- Armstrong fired as Etowah chief of police as assault charge filed
- Glenda Louise Coe Fugate
- Hayden Panettiere's boyfriend arrested
- Garrett Evan Grizzle
- Armstrong suspended pending assault investigation
- Police reports for Friday, Feb. 21, 2020